Why 2023 is a great time to be blogging
For months you’ve been saying it. ‘I’ll start blogging soon. If I just do a bit of writing this weekend, I’ll get started on blogging and then I’ll be motivated to post every week.’ And then the weekend comes and goes, and you haven’t written a sentence. And then another week passes.
Well, that’s enough of that! Because this year, 2023, will be the year you create a rip-roaring blog. No excuses. You’ve got me to egg you on, so now is the perfect time.
There are many reasons why 2023 might be a great time to start blogging. Here are a few that I want to share with you to get your creative juices flowing:
- Blogging is a great way to share your thoughts, ideas, and knowledge with a wide audience. In today’s digital world, it’s easier than ever to reach people all over the globe through a blog.
- Blogging can be a rewarding hobby or even a career. Many people have turned their blogs into successful businesses, and there is potential for anyone to do the same.
- Blogging can be a great way to connect with others who have similar interests. By writing about topics that you are passionate about, you can attract like-minded readers who enjoy reading your content. Imagine making friends through blogging!
- Blogging can be a great way to improve your writing skills and express yourself creatively. It can also be a great way to learn new things as you research and write about different topics.
- And, of course, it’s an exceptional marketing tool and a way for people to find you via Google. ‘77% of marketers agree that blogging gets results. 36% of marketers agree that blog posts brought them the best results in 2021. In fact, these marketers got better results from blog posts than case studies, webinars, infographics, ebooks, and podcasts.’
How to get started blogging in 2023
I have a strong passion for getting as many people blogging as possible. Whether it be for personal enjoyment or to boost your business’s marketing.
Here are a few steps to get started with blogging in 2023:
- Choose a topic: The first step in starting a blog is to choose a topic that you are passionate about and that you feel you have expertise in. This could be a specific hobby or interest, a personal experience, or something related to your profession. If you have a business, this should take some of the guesswork out of it because you want to be blogging about your industry, your business/services/products and what your target customers or clients want to know about.
- Choose a blogging platform: There are many different platforms you can use to start a blog, such as WordPress, Blogger, or Squarespace. Each platform has its own pros and cons, so it’s important to do some research and choose the one that best fits your needs. I generally recommend blogging (or setting up your website) on WordPress because its capabilities are vaster, plus there’s an unofficial rule that it’s better for SEO. That doesn’t mean that you can’t rank well on other platforms (and I even used to rank quite well using Weebly). But WordPress is more complex than most of the drop and drag platforms (such as Wix, Weebly, Hubspot etc).
- Set up your blog: Once you’ve chosen a platform, you’ll need to set up your blog by choosing a domain name, a design theme, and any other features you want to include. This will vary depending on the platform you choose, but most platforms have guides and resources to help you get started. Now, you can simply skip all this by getting some web developers or designers to set one up when they set up your website. But if you love doing things by yourself, then go for it!
- Start writing: Once your blog is set up, it’s time to start writing! Choose a consistent posting schedule and try to publish new content on a regular basis. This is a lot of people’s stumbling block because it’s hard to be consistently motivated to write the good stuff. And I say that as a professional writer who lives and breathes writing.
- As I suggest, when I teach people to write a book, you need to set a writing schedule. If you don’t, you will continue on as you have been doing – not writing! If you know yourself well, you’ll know whether you’re a batcher or a plodder. A batcher usually likes to set aside a full day or a few days and do nothing but write. Typically, pumping out draft after draft. This is a great way to get stuff done if you have a holiday or a reduced workload from your usual business or core duties. A plodder is better at setting aside a few hours a week and knocking out the weekly blog post. I recommend 3 to 6 hours to write one decent blog post. And making it the same time each week will create a fruitful routine that will train your body, mind and expectations to sit down and write.
What is the most important thing to remember when starting a blog?
There are many things to keep in mind when starting a blog, but one of the most important is to be consistent. Consistency is key to building an audience and keeping your readers engaged. This means posting new blog posts on a regular basis, using a consistent tone and style, and engaging with your readers through comments and social media.
Check out these tips on consistency.
It’s also important to remember that blogging takes time and effort, and it may be a while before you start to see a lot of traffic or engagement. It’s important to be patient and to keep working at it even if you don’t see immediate results. Give it at least (at the very least!) three months of weekly publishing before you decide to call it quits.
It’s also a good idea to develop and stick to your own voice when blogging. That way, it’s much simpler to write, and you’ll be able to be more consistent because it’s easier to be authentic.
How to share your thoughts via a blog?
Sharing your thoughts and ideas through a blog is a great way to connect with others and share your perspective on a variety of topics. Here are a few tips for sharing your thoughts through a blog:
- Write in your own voice: The most effective blogs are those that are written in the blogger’s own unique voice. Don’t be afraid to share your thoughts and opinions, and be authentic in your writing.
- Use examples and anecdotes: To make your blog more relatable and engaging, try using examples and anecdotes to illustrate your points. This can make your writing more interesting and help your readers to better understand your perspective.
- Engage with your readers: One of the best things about blogging is the opportunity to engage with your readers through comments and social media. Be sure to respond to comments and interact with your readers to build a sense of community around your blog.
So make 2023 your year to start your blog and achieve those blogging dreams of yours.